Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Saying "yes" to learning about your finances...

Ok, this post is a bit different than the normal fare, but stay with me.

The wife and I just watched "Yes Man" with Jim Carrey. Excellent comedy, with a good point.

Perhaps you have said "no" to learning about your finances. Maybe you didn't actually utter the word, but you have never thought it would benefit you to learn. Maybe you just didn't want to. Maybe it is always painted as too complicated for you. Maybe, like my personal situation a few years ago, you just had never bothered.

It took a pretty significant event in my life to really kickstart my interest, though I had been starting down the road for less than a year before that. I realized that personal finance is important. I realized no one was going to take care of it for me, and if they were...they would charge me a bunch of money to do it. That kinda pissed me off, and I decided to use that energy to do something constructive. So I decided to start learning. I went to the public library and checked out anything that looked interesting. So books were trying to sell certain things, or certain ideas on investing. I kept reading, trying to get a broad reference of many sources. Internet, TV, radio, books, magazines, and personal converstations. I even read the obvious marketing material from a number of investment firms and companies, keeping in mind that I was reading advertising.

I encourage you to take a second out of your day today to read something finance related. Anything. Think about your lifetime goals, and how a new idea or direction in your personal finance could help you achieve that. Personally, I want the Ducati from the movie! What is your goal?

3 comments:

  1. I want a house I can fix up, but enough cash that I only have to do the projects I choose. Even on a public interest salary . . . ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goal . . . NO DEBT! Also, a rockin house we can fix up ourselves at a low cost =D

    ReplyDelete